Wednesday, June 4, 2008


The picture is of the t-shirt my lovely friends made at my bachelorette party in Santa Fe. They staged it so when we walked into J-Crew, it was on a mannequin. Then I wore it. All day long.
It says "I love Dan the Man"
I do love Dan the Man...
Oh, but you can't call him Dan the Man.
Alicia was the first to call him that, and she is like, the only one who is ever allowed to utter those words. Per request of Daniel. Not Danny or Dan, but Daniel. Thank you. Not a reprimand, just raising awareness.
It has been super-fun to hear your reactions to mine and Daniel's no-sugar venture. Thank you for your comments, suggestions, and overall thorough support, regardless of what you are really thinking in your heads :)
We are still getting geared up for summer and are putting the finishing touches on "El Program de High School" otherwise known as Apostle. It's coming along, but it seems like every day Daniel comes home with a new thing that's come up and needs to get done before summer starts. There's just not that many days until summer starts, so things have to quit coming up!
In other news, last night I wanted to make bread. I wanted to make Challah bread. I bought all the ingredients and was really excited about it.
The yeast never rose. Never.
The bread turned out flat! But it still tasted really good, so that was okay. And Challah bread is Jewish, so we kind of likened it to Unleavened Bread, and had ourselves a Feast. The Feast of Unleavened Bread. I'm so punny.
But I still feel okay about it because it still tasted good, and then I consulted my good friend Lindsey, who is great at baking and cooking in general, and she said it more than likely wasn't my fault--she gave me a list of things that could have gone wrong (the yeast was bad, the weather wasn't right, etc etc...) so I have come to the conclusion that it was NOT my fault the bread didn't rise, and my efforts weren't completely wasted. Challah bread, you have met your match, mister!
Yesterday for lunch though I did make a successful meal: Corn Chowder. Soooooooo good. We ate it for lunch and dinner yesterday, actually. I'm telling you, I'm really in to this whole cooking thing. All I want to do is bake and cook. Weird, huh? It's going to look a little different once summer starts and this "no sugar" thing kicks in. We shall see. It will cause me to put my creative abilities to the test, I'm sure!
As you may know, Daniel and I are doing Netflix, which is wonderful. Last night we watched ANOTHER documentary (it's like they magically appear on our list, per Daniel, and then they magically show up at our door and we have to watch it before we send it back) Actually they've been really really interesting. We are not filling our minds with useless rubbish, but we are seeing different sides of things. Last night's documentary was entitled
"THE CORPORATION". DUM, DUM, DUM............
Complete with a creepy girl-narrator voice and thriller music. Wonderful.
It just gave background information on Corporations (where they came from, what they do now, etc.)
Did you know that corporations, by law, are considered a PERSON? Like, they have the same rights as people.
Did you know that in some foreign countries, corporations have bought rights to water and air, privatizing it?
And did you know that we are able to patent living things? (Like the breast cancer gene)?
It was really interesting. Afterwards, Daniel related his experience of working for Sam's Club, and he was surprised at how many of the things the documentary noted that he personally experienced while working for a corporation...like the overwhelming push for profit. Not Proffitt, but profit.
If you have Netflix, maybe try a documentary next time. You might be surprised. We haven't changed our opinions based solely on the view of a documentary, but it is nice to see the other side of things and to get different viewpoints.
Anyways, I must run. Literally. There are 4 of us camp wives up here who exercise together. This is what we do:
Bike 1.5 miles down to Big Basin State Park Headquarters.
Run 4 or 5 loops around the headquarters trail (.6 miles/loop), so on average 2.4 miles
In between loops, we do pyramid pushups and situps, or we just run the thing.
Ride back 1.5 miles.
It must be noted that although the bike is not far, it is really really hard on the way back because we have just busted our butts on the trail and on the sit-ups and the ride back is all up-hill.
It's quite a work-out, actually. We do that on MWF. On TTh, Lori and I do Pilates. It's amazing. If you have not tried a Pilates video, you must.
Off I go! Today my legs feel sort of like lead.....not good.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Bree! It is Erin (Hicks) Moon! I stalk...er...read your blog and enjoy it thoroughly. I, as well, have discovered the joys of Netflix. If you like the documentaries, you should try Born Into Brothels, followed immediately by Super Size Me. Born into Brothels is great, but you will need something a littler lighter after you watch it. It is fun reading about your Cali adventures! Peace!

Lindsey said...

Okay, this is soo cheesy but you need to put The Miracle Maker on your netflix list! We watched part of it in a jterm class I took and it was amazing. It's claymation Jesus story and it looks amazingly real! I mean you can tell but it's really cool. And the theology is pretty right on through out... so for me, watch it.
Also... I don't think Challah bread is even supposed to rise much is it??
Next, I just bought some unrefined sugar... so all is not lost while you are on your fast. I was trying a mini detox (unsuccessful but not b/c I cheated... I didn't!) and they suggested this other sugar and I got it and thought of you. We are cutting back on white sugar and flour too (though not eliminating) because of how bad it is for your system and how hard to digest... I had no idea!
Weird that we are learning/doing some similar things states away without even meaning to!
miss you