Sunday, August 1, 2010

Here's to Consistency

Gosh, the last time I blogged was in January. My blog today is like my journal several years ago--sporadically timed and quite random. The journal has ironed itself out into some sort of consistency, but the blog, not so much.

In my journal, whenever I'd miss a few days or weeks of writing, I'd spend the next entry apologizing profusely (to myself, to God, to whomever I was writing at that point) for skipping those days. Like I had really let someone down. Really who I let down was myself.

But, with this Proffitteer blog, I shall not do that. I shall write, and if I miss some days or weeks or months, I will not apologize--unless for some crazy reason tons of people start reading this blog and then get upset when I am not posting consistently.

This summer for we Proffitts has been kind of ridiculous, in the sense that busyness has been the name of the season! When you work at a church, like I do, and when you work in children's ministry, like I do, your summer is consumed with finding things for the kids to do while they're out of school.
So what do we do? Camp! Each year we take several hundred kiddos to two camps--one in June and the other in July. This year we took a group of 5th and 6th graders to Bonita Park, NM and our 1-4th graders to Plains Baptist Assembly in Floydada. It was fun, I was exhausted in the best way, and there was a different type of spiritual maturity in the kids this year.

Between the camps, Daniel and I took a trip to California (our stomping grounds as newlyweds). We arrived on a Tuesday and stayed with our good friends Nathan and Jill and their newest addition to their little family, Selah Lucca (age 5 weeks). We had such a good time with them. They live in an apartment in Scotts Valley, CA, but it's no ordinary apartment. It sits in the basement of a split level ranch house on the edge of town, and it's set on a beautiful hill. So when you sit on their front porch, you look across a small valley neighborhood with beautiful redwoods AND open spaces (a rare combo). Jill had planted a garden outside the house, and we sampled some button carrots (is that what they're called, Jill?) and some sugar snap peas that put any grocery peas to shame! They were sooooo good.

One of the most interesting things to me was the chicken coop. Every morning the guys would go to the coop and get some eggs. I can honestly say that up until that point I had never had an egg so fresh, as in, straight out of the coop. I was thinking for some reason that an egg straight out of the coop would taste weird or different. It didn't. I tasted like a normal egg. How bout that?
Next to the coop was a place where some llamas were staying, and then there were the several neighborhood dogs that somehow made their way up to our house throughout the week.
It was so wonderful to just hang out, do whatever we wanted, and be.....just be. We went to the beach, we went to the farmers market (which does not compare to Texas Panhandle farmers markets. It just doesn't), we saw a movie, at some sushi at Mobo, the place for which our pup is named, and did a little bit o' shopping.

At the end of the week we went to Camp Hammer, where Daniel was going to spend a week as the camp speaker. I had to come back to Texas for our kids camp, so I left on Monday to fly back home as Daniel began his speaking week.

From Monday to the next Sunday, Daniel and I were unable to speak to each other--either he or I had no cell service for the rest of the week! It's one thing to be separated from your spouse by a few states, but it's another thing to not get to talk to each other! I was so thankful for his arrival home on Tuesday afternoon.

So now, we settle back home and get ready for school to start. We are working on our bathroom and the outside of our house.

Too many things have happened since January to recount them all, and this summer alone could cover 50 posts.

So for now, summer winds down a bit, and we Proffitts continue pioneering the Plains.

Here's to consistency!

1 comment:

cal+claire said...

Sounds like a whirlwind! I definitely understand those church summers (the kids I worked with were a tad older though).
California sounds incredible! We hope to visit that state some day :D