Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Dentist's Chair

I had a dentist appointment today. The dentist is not a huge deal for me, now that I've reached my adult years, but it for sure has been in the past.

You know the hygienist who asks you questions the whole time...not yes or no questions, but "What's your biggest fear?" type questions.

And you know the hygienist who takes the big metal hook they use and pretends you are the fish she's just caught for dinner, yanking your mouth around and tearing through your gums...

You know?

Well, enter Mavis, the dental hygienist from heaven. This woman did not cause me one ounce of pain, and she probably gave me the most thorough cleaning I've ever had. And she taught me how to floss properly.
Did you know you're actually supposed to brush your teeth for FIVE minutes twice a day? The average person brushes for a minute and a half.

And on top of that, Mavis gave me a $5 Starbucks card. She told me to go get a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate....I believe I will, thank you very much.

And for being a new patient, I got a mug filled with chocolate. From the DENTIST!!! How cool is that? I can't eat it of course, per our no-dessert regulations, but I mean, a dentist that will hand out chocolate to his new patients is definitely worth a second visit...or even a third.

So all in all my pearly whites are even more pearly than they were before, and I highly recommend Mavis. If we weren't moving next month, I'd want to see her again.

Speaking of moving (how's that for transition?) Our house is now in boxes. And we've still got about 3 weeks to pack, so that's good....wait a minute...we're moving in THREE WEEKS!!! That is so weird! It's going to fly by. Really quickly. We are trying to figure out, currently, how we are going to move across the country. We're selling one car, so we'll have our suv and a truck with our stuff. It looks like Daniel will take the truck and I'll take the Kia and we'll go it separately....all 23 long hours. great.

Daniel is in the process of beginning to look for a job, and he's already begun school, which he is super excited about! If you know of anyone who would like to offer Daniel employment, let me know :)

Well, that's the latest from Proffitteer land. It's amazing how excited my trip to the dentist made me today. I'm telling you, a good dental hygienist is worth getting excited over. My gums are grateful for Mavis :)

4 comments:

RacheldHurley said...

3 weeks????!! thats impossibly soon. can't wait to spend this weekend with you guys. one last time.
(unless I also come up the following weekend for gherkin's farewell in which case, two last times.)

Schlaeps said...

One problem about nice dentists though: they always ask you questions while they're working. I feel like going "Um, your hand is in my mouth, I can't really answer you right now". But then the hand in mouth thing comes into play again and I never am able to tell them. They probably don't even know because nobody has been able to tell them yet.

Moorea Seal said...

GIRL!!! i didn't know you have a blog!

psh.
i miss you.

-moorea

Lindsey said...

I love the dentist. Always have. It's probably that need for approval and my paranoia of cavities that promotes a love for dentists. hahahaha
Hey, do you think you'll have time around Christmas break to hang out?? We'll be in for two weeks and I'd love to meet up some where!!